a.k.a. Computer stops responding with a black screen when you start Windows XP
After the bios screen, the screen is black with a blinking cursor in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
This is before the windows splash screen. You are unable to select F8 boot options.
HIGHLY POSSIBLE FIX:
- Boot into RECOVERY CONSOLE by using the windows CD
- *optional* Run “CHKDSK /r” to confirm proper file structure and to find any bad sectors
- Run “fixboot” (to repair the boot sector)
- Run the command “fixmbr” (to fix the master boot record) Say YES when prompted
- Reboot and it should be fixed
These commands, especially the “fixmbr” command COULD damage your partitions so it is wise to backup any data via usb enclosure if possible.